Thread: 4g63 into a starion???

Default 4g63 into a starion???

my gsx is dead. how do i do a 4g63 motor swap into a starion???
    i want an awd starion with 1200 hp. oh yeah i also want a million dollars but thats not gonna happen.

go to the racing section of this site and buschur makes a complete kit for what you got

I don't know that I would call that a "kit". It looks like a lot of one off parts to me. Any way you look at it, there is a lot of things that need attention, and there will be more fabrication than just "bolt in". The bell housing bolt patterns are different, so a transmission swap or adapter is manditory, motor mounts must be built (Buschur may make some, I'm not sure) and the car must be re wired to use the 4g63. I'm not trying to deter anyone from doing this, but I looked into this several years ago and scrapped the idea because I don't have a welder or some of the other tools that would be mandatory to perform a swap like this easily. Don't forget that a new driveshaft will need to be made and that the exhaust will have to be all custom bent to fit the chassis. Good luck!
    '95 GSX, FMIC, 20g, 3" exhaust, o2 eliminator, deltagate wastegate, 2g ported exh. manifold, center diff spool, AFC, 550cc injectors, lightened flywheel, CM 2400lb clutch *FOR SALE*

Actually we do have a fairly complete kit. I would say 99% of the guys that call here that want to do the swap are too cheap or broke to perform it. As soon as the list of parts are started you can here the conversation change.

The conversion is the smartest thing that can be done in my opinion for someone who wants to drag race a 4G63. The '88-'89 Conquest/Starion rear end is strong. Strong enough to run 9's and stay together.

We have the adapter plate to run any GM automatic transmission. The adapter is $500.

The flywheel is $350.

The motor mounts are $150.

The torque converter is $1100.

That is a total of $2100. This will get the engine set in the car in the correct location. You can buy a new trans from Summit racing that will work great in the car for under $1,000. The driveshaft that is in the car will work, you just have to have any machine shop shorten it and add a yoke to match the trans you choose. Figure around $150 for this. You will also have to build a cross member. This is fairly simple also and with a little work the stock one can be used. Say $150 to have someone do this too.

At this point you have the engine in, trans in, driveshaft and crossmember in. You have spent a total of $3400. Is that alot of money? Depends on how you look at it. I know a new AWD trans costs $1800. A rebuild is a minimum of $800, a clutch is $385 and a flywheel is $400. This new configuration that just cost you $3400 isn't going to break for a VERY LONG time and depending on how fast you try to go may last you longer than you own the car. I am talking about YEARS and hundreds of perfectly shifting non aborted runs.

You will also need a complete DSM wiring harness to hook up the engine. You will need an ECU also. The stock steering and brake master cylinder work fine. The factory gauges will have to be changed to aftermarket in the car. A simple plate can be made to go in the factory dash to put in gauges.

The swap is time consuming. If you do it yourself there is little fabrication actually needed and you do not need to know how to weld. For the little welding that needs to be done you can have it done locally.

I highly recommend this swap to anyone wanting to go fast and that is tired of the problems of the factory 5 speed trans.

David Buschur

Cool deal. I was looking into doing this in the future. I wasn't aware of the support that you guys offer. Now I just might have to give this idea the green light. 8)
    92 TSi FWD

The path of the majority only leads to mediocrity.

david thanks for the info.....imsure many other enthusiasts that have the cash(like me ) would want a 5 speed, not an automatic. Is there any thing
    like this in the works or do i sell my starion? automatic is not an option.

I've heard from a reputable source that the manual trans from a 2wd Mitsu Montero will bolt directly to the 4G63 motor and is fairly strong. Anybody know about this?

the mitsu mighty max 5 speed will bolt up but i dont know if it would hold up.