Thread: 12's on stock fuel pump

Default 12's on stock fuel pump

Ok, everyone tells me I am an idiot for running the stock 1.5 fuel pump on my 2.0 turob, butI dataloged it at 15 psi and got 1 knock in first and then nothing else. What is the deal? I am about to get 550cc injectors and throw on my 2g maf. I am already in the 12's. When and why should I chane my pump

And also, If I go with a fuel cell, how does emisions pressure test the fuel system? DO they just use the stock cap, and would it seal the same?
    93 Dodge Colt. 708whp
    10.5@149mph. Retired @200mph

87 Rx-7. 1st ever 4G powered @567whp

89 Supra Turbo-Targa-White-Sex

97 Tercel BlackHawk- "Mr Stinkypants"

92 BMW 318i-Saturday Night Hoetaxi

Don King for a Highway near you....

did you run 12.8 with 15psi and 14b......with stock pump and 450cc injectors....if you did you must be one hell of a driver.......
    92 tsi awd..kn..gm maft.. 3inch turbo back.. walbro 255lph(rewired).. .. big 16g ported clipped 34mm flapper.. evo III manifold.. ported o2 housing.. act 2600 ..findanza flywheel.. afc II.. 550cc....br fmic..sx fpr

it was at 18psi spike settling to 16psi (cheap boost controler), with 94 octaine, and stock colt fuel pump. If 450cc is the stock injector size, then yes, stock injectors. With the slicks, it is a world of difference. I was just askin, if I am not leaning out, should I just wait on the 550cc and the 2g maf until I get an afc, or will I see a gain with these and no fuel pump upgrade? Do I need to change the pump if I am not leaning out? Why am I not leaning out on a pump that was built to support 100hp?!?!?
    93 Dodge Colt. 708whp
    10.5@149mph. Retired @200mph

87 Rx-7. 1st ever 4G powered @567whp

89 Supra Turbo-Targa-White-Sex

97 Tercel BlackHawk- "Mr Stinkypants"

92 BMW 318i-Saturday Night Hoetaxi

Don King for a Highway near you....

if you plan on getting 550cc then you will need a afc or you will run real rich.....as for fuel pump its always good to upgrade...i know your not leaning out but eventually you will need it....i sure you are at about the limit of the stock fuel pump...i give you credit for runnin 12's on it though....i say get the fuel pump first......just my opinion.......with all my mods listed below my best is only 13.81 @ 99.5mph.....im getting high knock and dont know why......
    92 tsi awd..kn..gm maft.. 3inch turbo back.. walbro 255lph(rewired).. .. big 16g ported clipped 34mm flapper.. evo III manifold.. ported o2 housing.. act 2600 ..findanza flywheel.. afc II.. 550cc....br fmic..sx fpr

This is my view on stock DSM fuel pumps. First, that fuel pump in your Colt may be able to support quite a bit more horsepower than stock (which is obvious) due to the fact that Mitsubishi may have used a common fuel pump for several cars and some of those cars may have had higher output engines requiring more fuel so the pumps were bigger. The reasoning behind this theory would be because the less non interchangable parts that Mitsubishi would have to make, the less money would be lost. Now on to my second theory about stock Talon and Eclipse fuel pumps. In my opinion, I think that the stock fuel pump can support more horsepower than everyone thinks it can, and I think there are other parts of the fuel system that cause restrictions in the amount of flow to the injectors that are being blamed on the fuel pump. Case in point: A couple of seasons ago I was running a stock 1g FWD car with a JDM motor in it that was equipped with a TDO4 auto trans. turbo on it and the only other things done to the car was a 2.25 inch exhaust from the turbo back with no cat. There was a k@n on it too and all the free mods. Towards the end of the racing season I added a NOS single nozzle system to the car and used a 50hp jetting in it. Bear in mind that the fuel pump was still the stock unit. When I was running the NOS, I was seeing apporoximately 22-23 psi of boost plus the 50 horse shot of NOS. With that setup I ran 13.5 @106 mph. 106 mph is good for mid to high 12's! The EGT's looked nice and I would have been comfortable stepping it up another 25 horse on the NOS. The fuel pump can handle it in my opinion, but it is a gamble because nobody knows for sure what kind of horsepower limits there are to a stock pump. I would encourage you to look into getting a fuel pressure gauge so you could watch to make sure that your fuel pressure isn't dropping under boost. If it is, then you may be outflowing your stock pump. As for the injectors and AFC, I would hold off on that stuff for now until you see where you are at with the stock 450cc injectors.
    '95 GSX, FMIC, 20g, 3" exhaust, o2 eliminator, deltagate wastegate, 2g ported exh. manifold, center diff spool, AFC, 550cc injectors, lightened flywheel, CM 2400lb clutch *FOR SALE*