Thread: gtx3076 with SST

Default gtx3076 with SST

I have this combination but car just has "safe" base tune. The spool-up is terrible though, doing my best brake torque launch nets around 2.3 60' times. I am looking to upgrade to dual pumps and 1000cc injectors to enable higher boost and hp, but am I wasting my time with this turbo? I would like 1.80 60' times which I could get with the stock turbo. The place that installed the turbo/manifold claims I just need a tune to spool up turbo faster. I've never been able to change spool time *that* much with a tune on domestics.

Todd

I don't see how the spool up time can be that bad on that turbo. I run the FP3076 HTA on a 2.0L it spools quick and have gotten a 1.3 60ft off the footbrake. What are some more details about the car? Engine, cams, head, intake, exhaust housing size, etc.
    1994 Talon 9.76 @ 138 FP 3076 HTA

The motor is stock, with tubular exhaust manifold, 3" intake, not sure about the exhaust housing size. Stock exhaust with 3"DP. With the SST transmission I cannot brake torque the car much at all.

Just to close this, don't go with this combination unless you absolutely don't care about how long it takes the turbo to spool. Had the car tuned here at Buschur Racing and it made no difference in the spool characteristics. 60' times are in the 2.7 - 2.8 range. Was told that this turbo is too big for the 2.0L engine. Car is lifeless, I'd rather drive my work truck and I'm not kidding. Turbo is coming out ASAP and going back to the stocker.

Todd

I hate to be that guy, but it looks to me like there was a large turbo thrown on without any of the supporting modifications. Not a fair assessment of the turbo. Even with a tune, you're not going to be able to extract the turbo's abilities without the other supporting modifications. But, compared to a stocker yes a 3076 is going to seem laggy. But you should still be able to get a launch out of it.
    WOOT! 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
    Stockish
    11.146 @ 118.17 14b

Sponsored by Brian 5150's parts