Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trboblu - The car that turned into a major rebuild but wasn't suppose to.

Default Trboblu - The car that turned into a major rebuild but wasn't suppose to.

Hey everyone! Been on here for a while... so figured it might be time to post up something about this rice-bomb that's been on jack stands for one year and three months now. Brian knows a lot about this car.. so I'm sure he will chime in.

It started out as a "just get it functioning properly" to daily drive it, since the other talon went down. But as we all dug further into this car, the dream turned into a bad dream.. then an all out nightmare. It was called a "rice bomb" due to the fact that the previous owner completely destroyed this car. I honestly have no idea how the thing ran alright.. or didn't loose parts on the road. So we'll start with some "before" shots:

Poor car had almost every wire under the hood or in the car cut for some unknown reason. She also had various interior panels painted, as well as the engine bay and differental are a nice shade of baby powder blue. It *almost* matches the Kona Blue Pearl. Almost. Oh, let's not forget the plethora of eBay universal "performance" parts and headlights that belong to a 2gb Eclipse; that were wired into the o2 sensor. I kid you not.

Here's what the underside looked like... I painted the angry face on it.

Needless to say, the car was STRIPPED down... drivetrain pulled, suspension, crossmembers, driveshaft, rear dif, interior... everything. Then started the process of re-painting things, fixing stripped bolts, finding missing bolts, and installing the new parts.

The engine was sold from this car, but the one from my old white Talon was sent out to a machine shop, as well as the head.

Here's some during/after shots:

I'll fill in some details in a little bit. There's quite a bit.

I'd like to thank Brian5150 for his help on this car and for some parts, too!

Holy crap, haven't updated this in forever. Well, the car is running and pretty much fully functional. It probably has about 9000 miles on it since the rebuild. It also has a car show trophy! lol... took it to a Mopar show back in May. Was in the "modern modified" class and ended up with an award. Completely surprising, really.

Anyways, I struggled with the tune on the car for a while. It would cut out in the higher RPM's. Come to find out the MAF sensor (GM) readings, Actual Boost and the BoostEST (DSMLInk v3) were way off. Once I calibrated the sensor for the higher RPM range, it cleared right up. Took it to the track to get some WOT pulls for more tuning. So without launching the car on 17psi, it was trapping 106MPH. Was thrilled, as I didn't think it would reach triple digit speed with no launch, low boost, and no timing up top. I know this is not a super high horsepower beast like most of the cars on here, but it's definately taught me A TON about the world of turbo cars and tuning.

I hope to get the car more dialed in for the Shootout and perhaps have some fun with it on the autox and drags.

For now here's some photos:

The car has come a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way. It looks great now, great job man!
    DB quote "....this isn't some chinese piece of shit...."

Thank you!

Definitely a long, bumpy road to get it back to road worthy. But you know... it has that uncanny ability to put a goofy smile on my face when driving it. So guess it was all worth while!

Oh.. noticed I didn't have any of the "mods" listed. This is really just a 16g build.

-Evo316, Evo manifold (which will be swapped out in favor of the FP one soon)
    -Thermal 3" RD exhaust, Megan racing downpipe and 02 housing
    -272/272 cams, BC springs retainers, redone cly head, mild port job
    -JE forged pistons, ACL rod/main bearings, ARP headstuds, Cometic HG
    -ETS "street" FMIC, Tial BOV
    -rewired walbro 255 pump, 650cc injectors (which will be 850's soon), Aeromotive FPR
    -DSMLink V3
    -Exedy 6-puck clutch
    -Koni/Eibachs/Polyurthane bushings...

The Evo 8 Recaros, black/grey interior and 2gb Talon conversion for the "looks".

Quote Originally Posted by mullen View Post
    The car has come a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way. It looks great now, great job WOman!
    Fixed it for ya Mullen

Car looks great MB!
    WOOT! 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
    Stockish
    11.146 @ 118.17 14b

Sponsored by Brian 5150's parts

LOL.. thanks Shane!

Oh.. message Sam if you still have his number, if not LMK. He wouldn't give me a straight answer on if there was still a 7-bolt intake at the house. (You know how he is..) And I'm out in IL for the time being. If there is, then you can "borrow" those things to get your car up and running for the Shootout. Would be sweet to have the blue Talons roll out together!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    LOL.. thanks Shane!

Oh.. message Sam if you still have his number, if not LMK. He wouldn't give me a straight answer on if there was still a 7-bolt intake at the house. (You know how he is..) And I'm out in IL for the time being. If there is, then you can "borrow" those things to get your car up and running for the Shootout. Would be sweet to have the blue Talons roll out together!
    Nooo he needs to get my fucking car done before he even touches his again. Bad enough the thing has to sit in the garage let alone Shane stealing half the parts off it hahaha. Between you 2 I went broke I swear.
    92 talon tsi awd the project that will never run again

05' EVO RS: stock motor, Map rev3 & ported exhaust mani, Map ef4 turbo, Milspec 65 mm tb, Ams fmic, Buschur stages 1-5, Buschur double pumper, GSC S2 cams with GSC springs and retainers, Zeitronics wb, Exedy hd twin, Sparktech non cdi, Koni coil overs, Enkie nto3's, fic 1450's, Grimmspeed 3 port, tephra v7 SD

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

Any questions about my setup feel free to ask me.

are those my old seats?
    DB quote "....this isn't some chinese piece of shit...."

Quote Originally Posted by mullen View Post
    are those my old seats?
    That they are I told you I would put them to good use. Sad thing is they fit better in her car then they do in my talon hahaha.

05' EVO RS: stock motor, Map rev3 & ported exhaust mani, Map ef4 turbo, Milspec 65 mm tb, Ams fmic, Buschur stages 1-5, Buschur double pumper, GSC S2 cams with GSC springs and retainers, Zeitronics wb, Exedy hd twin, Sparktech non cdi, Koni coil overs, Enkie nto3's, fic 1450's, Grimmspeed 3 port, tephra v7 SD

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

A little history about this for those who don't know, The day we went to pick this car up she thought long and hard about buying it. I did push a little being she was having a hard time finding one that was that color, awd and untouched. So after pushing a little and overpaying for it we decided to do the right thing and save it. I shit you not within 10 mins of getting it home to my house she has it in the my garage, ripping out the interrior and was like wtf is all this crap. Within an hour she wasn't happy and we had to make a trip to Ann Arbor to get some paint and sand paper to fix some rust in the hatch. You would think within a few hours of owning this car she would be happy. Boy was I wrong hahaha. Fast forward a few weeks she came out and worked on the car little by little I ordered the parts needed to get the harnesses fixed so she could have 1) A working fuel pump. 2) O2 sensors 3) wireing harness that was in once piece. 4) Rust hatch floor being they were doing a fuel cell that never happened. I do not think there was one harness on this car that wasn't cut up and wires either missing, or cut that were important. And of course being I spoil her rotten like I do all my close friends, we started ordering more and more and more and more parts. Needless to say I can say we turned a unhappy woman at the time to one that smiles from ear to ear every time she gets in the gas. But there is one more thing she forgets. The car still has more power in it and once we are done tuning, she will never get that smile off her face I garentee it. The FP2 cams really did a nice job wakeing up that motor, along with pnp head and intake mani. Hopefully when she gets back into town we can put the Fp mani on, my old 850s in and finishing the tune with meth being she doesn't have e85 out where she lives. Funny thing is, she lives in larger city and has no e85, I live in a small hick town in the middle of no where and I can get it all around me hahaha.

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

That pretty much sums it up.

So here's a "beauty" shot of the FP Manifold that will be put on the car soon.

Build looks great, about your FP manifold, the surface finish looks very coarse. Is that the the normal cast finish?
    Follow my 600whp Drag Evo Build at
    http://evotastic.ca
    & follow me on twitter at
    @eevotastic

Quote Originally Posted by evotastic.ca View Post
    Build looks great, about your FP manifold, the surface finish looks very coarse. Is that the the normal cast finish?
    Its actually the white lightining coating. She sent me a pic of it on the car yesterday and looks really good but really odd being it is the only white thing on the car hahaha.

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

Yeah, it's not normally that coarse. As brian said, it's the "white lightning" ceramic coating form Swain Tech. This photo really shows how white this manifold is. LOL

And one of the EVO3 being removed:

Also got the turbo lines changed out and an oil change. Now just have to get the other injectors in there, make a heat shield, and a catch can of some sort.

I have plenty of mtn dew bottles MB you can use as a catch can hahaha

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

LOL.. indeed you do.

Well on a positive note, drove the car around today in the 106 weather.... temps stayed normal range; never saw above 220. (even without a heatshield...yet. So I guess that ceramic coating really does make a difference!) and no ominous puddles on the ground. Didn't really "get on it." However, the one time I kinda did, it seems to not make boost like it did before. Again, this could all be in my head. So we'll see....

Well hopefully things will be ok this time around. I know we have a lot of work yet to go but faster you get home and stop taking jobs we can get it finished up.

TSCOMPTUNED
    608/475tq @ 34 psi

This was my best run with the car from Saturday. Need to get out to the track more often... but starting to loose the fear of launching it harder! Now gotta work on that handywork of shifting without completely lifting off the gas......... and loosing all the boost!

I think it's got a 12 in her; even on the 18psi it's set at right now.

Took the car out to the Monster Mopar event over the weekend. Entered it in the show, which also got a free entry into the autocross. They wanted to try out an autocross to see what kind of intrest there was, so anyone who registered could run. So of course I did! Wanted to give it another try after the really easy time I took at the Shootout with the car. The course they had set up was nice and simple. Probably for these two reasons:

1. A bunch of newbies
    2. Typically the large old muscle cars are not known for the best handling.

Personally, I did ok, getting braver with the car... went from running the course in 56 seconds to 48! The fastest time was held by an autocrossed prepped Challenger, which ran it in 43-something. Here's a photo of the car:

And... I did get to drive it!

But took it easy, since I'm not used to RWD. Talk about the best handling old muscle car I've ever seen, though!!

As for the Talon... the coolest thing about taking a car like this to these Mopar things is the reactions you get from the older V8 crowds. We had a group of FWD guys there, and were constantly shocking people. On the Autox side, I was able to pull harder on the strights than most of the new LX-platform cars, which really blew those guys away. And I'm not even "fast" in dsm/evo terms! On the drag side, we had a FWD Daytona which ran 10.64@139.9MPH, an Dodge Caravan that went 12.98, and a GLH Omni that ran 10.4. So it was fun!

Some things to note about the autocrss as a newbie
    1. older dry-rotting tires do not help. I managed to loose control of the car and slid off the track into the grass. That was on my last run, where I actually started pushing it harder. Well, found that limit! lol!
    2. stock breakes do ok, probably could have benefitted from some new (better) pads, though. I did lock them up a few times, and felt them fade a little on really hard breaking.
    3. There's a major difference between the "soft" and "firm" setting ont he KONI's. At the Shootout, I lef them on soft, since I was really just "feeling" it all out. This time I ran a few laps with them soft, then on firm. Went from a 56 to a 53. Sweet!

Oh yeah, and the course was set up on an Oval track! So it was pretty neat! Here's some more pics:

My little souviner!

And two shots from when they ran the winged cars on the track! Such an awesoem sight!

All the photos from the event car be seen here, if interested:
    http://www.pixelmagik.net/Cars/Event...7634&k=9hW9dgg
    Last edited by dodgeshadowchik; 09-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Been out messing with the car somewhat... trying to get some much needed seat time. Figuring out real quick that driving a car that actually makes more power than stock can be a challenge.... even in AWD form.

It is definately a 12-second car; with the correct driver. I have about 7 timeslips from yesterday, all 13's but the MPH were all 109 to 110.8! My 60-ft times were absolutely horrific. From talking to people, its probably a combination of crappy tires and just a lack of experience. In the video below, you'll see how I chirped the tires, which then caused me to short shift 1st. I also lift after every shift out of habit... so that's not helping either. Ah well!! Next year I'll have to get out there more! I am happy to see that the car can race like this, and be driven to and from the track, as well as on long trips. The MPH also makes me happy, since that does tell me it is making some decent power for a mere 20psi on a 16g on pump gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prY4AiPAcoA

This video cracks me up since it's such a high dollar car. But apparently he is even more of a crappy driver!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast