Thread: Using ECUFlash GRAPH Smoothing to Improve Tune

Default Using ECUFlash GRAPH Smoothing to Improve Tune

Using ECUFlash's graphing feature to help smooth out your maps will greatly improve the consistency of your tuning results!

Most of us have cut, copy and pasted our maps so many times that they start to look like Swiss cheese. After a while, you don't even notice how ragged the flow of your maps are as your car jumps from cell to cell.

For anyone who doesn't know how to access the graphing feature, simply open one of your fuel or ignition maps and click on the "VIEW" icon on the top of the window. Just check-mark the graph feature and it will appear on the right side of the map. If you click on the map, you can rotate it with the arrow keys on your keyboard or you can just left-click and hold with your mouse to rotate it. You want the cells so flow smoothly, no drastic jumps.

Here is a BEFORE AND AFTER example of one of my tunes which was pretty hacked up:

*NOTE: This car ran alcohol Injection which I had kick in at 170 LOAD via the ECU, that's why you see the raised bump in my fuel curve from 4k-7.5K RPM.

The best rule of thumb that I can offer is to minimize large jumps in timing from one cell to the cells surrounding it. The largest jump I usually allow is 3* of timing from one cell to the next. Anything larger than that seems to promote premature knock. I believe it is from the ECU being forced to interpolate the values mathematically so it ramps up/down between the two values smoothly. When you are going through the map as quickly as we do with a WOT pull, the ECU is doing a LOT of math in a very short amount of time and it seems like it cant make corrections fast enough when the timing changes are too drastic. You basically want to have the ECU do less work when doing the math and you don't want the ECU changing timing direction back and forth during a pull because that is just MORE work for the ECU and engine to deal with.

So follow the 3* MAX 'rule of thumb' from 140+load and confirm that the map is smooth by viewing the graph to the right of the map and you should see a huge improvement in repeatability. This also helps TON with tip-in knock where people seem to randomly get knock when they first begin a pull from around 2.5-3k rpm.

The best thing about smoothing the entire map is how it helps you smooth out the areas that you generally never 'tune' during WOT runs. For example, the area where you would begin your WOT run between 4k-6K rpm as you ramp-up thru the 100-max load areas.

Feel free to add any info to this thread guys!

Last edited by jack_of_trades; 09-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    -Jamie @Dynotech Tuning
    '03 BBY Evo 8 (sold )
    '90 Mirage Hatch with 4g63 swap and Evo 8 ECU