Buschur BADBISH 250x90 Test 3    Buschwacker    Buschur BADBISH 250x90 Test

Thread: Maf translator pro

Default Maf translator pro

I have a 98 gst. I have a 6 bolt with 10,000 miles. Having some motor issues and need to know if going with speed density is the way to go. I live a mile high. My car has 550 injectors(thinking about 1000),evo16g, greddy intercooler pipes, injen intke, greedy type s bov, 2 1/2 inch down pipe, 3" thermal r+d cat back with race pipe, 2100 act clutch and flywheel. I have a aeromotive fpr on the way. But I real would like to learn to tune my car so I can get the horsepower I already have. Pleat help, I'd like to think I started out right but need to know what direction to go with a tuning device that won't break the bank, or that might but is the best bang for the buck

I would look into ECMLink v3 lite. It is 345 bucks, and much more capable than the translator pro, and is also sd capable. Plus the Guys at ECMtuning are awesome to deal with. The only thing is you will need to buy an eprom from a 95 turbo dsm to be able to run their chip.

www.ecmtuning.com
    Jeff Cole
    My car sucks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and
    anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
    -- George Carlin
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmusmc View Post
    "If you wont stand behind our troops then stand in front of them."

Translator pro is actually much more powerful, but it wont spoon feed you, although the guys on the translator forums will always give you a hand with setup and tuning. The translator pro has the major advantage of TRUE speed density, not a guesstimate as other systems will use and the big, big thing that myself and my other buddies using it LOVE it the wideband tracking feature where you can input whatever air fuel ratio you want at open loop and the translator pro will add or subtract fuel as neccesary to maintain that ratio and you can monitor the amount of fuel that its adding or subtracting on the lcd screen that is on the unit itself, which brings me to THAT feature that we love, the ability to tune on the fly while your driving and monitor up to four seperate data items of your choice the whole time! One of the best investments I have made actually, I have actually ran 1000cc injectors with the translator pro doing the entire compensation and the car that I set it up on ran good, myself I like to run the translator pro in conjunction with say a eprom ecu or a flashable ecu (something to compensate for the injectors by itself) and let the pro just concentrate on the speed density and wideband tracking stuff. (this is especially nice if you run meth injection and you would happen to run out of meth or have a meth system failure, the translator pro would add fuel to keep your ratios right instead of blowing your engine up).
    If you feel especially at home here ...
    Of course you are slightly strange, because you understand and have an affection for inanimate machinery. So many mock what they know they can never understand.
    ...That the creations of technology... human technology... have a beauty, an art... a life of their own.
    You, being one of those people who understand and appreciate this, are forever tasked with swimming upstream against the blindness of the mainstream.
    ... Welcome to the Machine...

Wouldn't say its more "powerful" if it can accurately tune it can make just as much power as the next. No its not as easy to tune as V3 but its ok if you actually know what you're doing. If you get full V3 and not the lite it can do 95% of the stuff AEM can do including everything mentioned above. Its really all in what you want to get. $1,500 for AEM, $500 for V3, or $400 for Maft-Pro.
    6bolt w/2G head 2.2, Ross, Crower, Magnus 92mm, Supertech valves, Kiggly springs, GSC s3's, SBR fmic, Tial BOV, meth inj, s90 70mm, JMFab DRAG, 2000cc's, Aeromotive FPR, BR c.o.p., Tial 44's, BW 91/79 .91 A/R, BR 3" exhaust, twin 255 in-tank, rebuilt auto w/Kiggly 5 disk and built t-case

You could also just get an openport 2.0 cable($180) , download ecuflash and evo scan($25) then flash and datalog your current ecu.

Which ever way you decide to go, make sure you have an idea of what you are doing and the proper monitering in place, ie. wideband.

There is the capablilty later of running an iat and map in place of the maf with ceddy mods flashed to the ecu.
    1994 Eagle Talon: Full interior, Stock motor with hks 272 cams and evo3 16g
    12.345@112.54

Quote Originally Posted by 6bolt2g View Post
    You could also just get an openport 2.0 cable($180) , download ecuflash and evo scan($25) then flash and datalog your current ecu.

Which ever way you decide to go, make sure you have an idea of what you are doing and the proper monitering in place, ie. wideband.

There is the capablilty later of running an iat and map in place of the maf with ceddy mods flashed to the ecu.
    Yes!, this is what myself and all of my buddies are using WITH the maftpro for wideband tracking backing it up, closest thing to full standalone that is out there, and of course the processor in the flash based ecu is surface mount and is a MUCH faster processor than some of the current offerings out there actually, we regularly see 100+ sample rates with the flash based versus 9-10 on some of the other stuff.
    Of course you are slightly strange, because you understand and have an affection for inanimate machinery. So many mock what they know they can never understand.
    ...That the creations of technology... human technology... have a beauty, an art... a life of their own.
    You, being one of those people who understand and appreciate this, are forever tasked with swimming upstream against the blindness of the mainstream.

Yep. This is what I run in my 94, minus the maft pro currently. Works great. I am only on 750's, but still idles and drives around like stock and have great tuning capabilities though the entire curve. I also run the big maps option(while still on maf setup) and it has around 24 load columns and 18 rpm points iirc.
    12.345@112.54

Yep. This is what I run in my 94, minus the maft pro currently. Works great. I am only on 750's, but still idles and drives around like stock and have great tuning capabilities though the entire curve. I also run the big maps option(while still on maf setup) and it has around 24 load columns and 18 rpm points iirc.
    I recently converted a shootout buddy over to the flashable ecu, he bought the maftpro a couple years ago after seeing how well it worked in my car, and then after seeing the flashable with the maftpro he went straight home and got the flashable with all the cables! I think that one of the things that really sells alot of people is that I run BIG injectors and have no bottom on my throttle body at all (completely blocked off, no isc, no fiav) and I can reach in the window on a 50 degree day and bump the key and it starts right up with no surge or stalling and holds 1000 rpm to full warm up, no stalling at stop signs, no surging in town or stop lights, and NO MAF! I have yet to see any other system accomplish anything close to this and do it this well. Yes it did take some custom tuning which takes a little time to get it perfect, but its well worth every second that I have into it, and of course my maftpro is zero'd out, just using it for wideband tracking and the speed density conversion algorythms.

The new set up allows you to drive around with the maf and map first to get your VE table set up, because it wires directly into the stock map signal with the new (omni, gm or aem) map sensors. Then remove the maf and wire in the iat sensor after the VE table is set up. Its pretty slick and takes a lot of guessing out of initial tuning.
    12.345@112.54

Yeah, its pretty awesome, I was one of the first to jump on the 2g flashable, and one of the first to jump on the maftpro, never regretted any of it.

same here. had an evo ecu in my 98gsx til they started flashing the h8's then switch back to the 2g ecu. Even after totalling that car, I wired it into my 94 because it was so nice and easy.
    12.345@112.54

Quote Originally Posted by BISHILVR View Post
    Yes!, this is what myself and all of my buddies are using WITH the maftpro for wideband tracking backing it up, closest thing to full standalone that is out there, and of course the processor in the flash based ecu is surface mount and is a MUCH faster processor than some of the current offerings out there actually, we regularly see 100+ sample rates with the flash based versus 9-10 on some of the other stuff.
    I have a 92 Plymouth Laser AWD and I have a maf pro all setup for SD but untuned. If I got an evo 8 ecu and evoscan could I do what you are talking about?

I am aware this thread is very old but I happened upon it and am interested in the info here. -Tim
    Last edited by Redliner_x; 11-11-2012 at 11:01 PM.

It should work no problem.