Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO VIII Parts In 1G/2G Build

Default EVO VIII Parts In 1G/2G Build

I'm looking to do either a 1G or 2G DSM (GSX or TSI) build. I'm about to start a large part out of my EVO VIII. I don't want to make the mistake of selling parts that could've been useful for the DSM (i.e. - MAF, seats, etc.). So which parts, if any, would you fellahs transfer from an EVO to use in a DSM? Lastly, in each of your opinions, which is better, the 1G or 2G? Thanks.

Bump!
    Bump!

What are your goals for the DSM? I'm a 1g man myself.
    Chris
    90 GSX
    BR stage 3 2.0L, AEM EMS, FP3052

Like I said, I'm new to the DSM world as I've had my EVO VIII for nearly six years now. I knew the path to take with it to achieve 500whp and 450wtq but now I'm in the DSM world. I would like to eventually achieve the same numbers (if possible) with E85. I spend the majority of my time on the street with the occasional drag and/or autox event. I'm sure to have a ton of questions in the days ahead. I'm asking about EVO parts as I have an entire slew of parts that I'd like to use if possible (i.e. - seats, 1000cc injectors, BOV, O2 dump, MAF, ECU, exhaust manifold, calipers, etc.) so I'm basically trying to get an understanding as to what parts I can safely use and which ones I can sell. You say that you prefer a 1G over a 2G and I'd like to know why. The only reason I prefer a 2G over the 1G is appearance. I absolutely don't like how the headlights are. If there were a way to have the entire 1G front converted, I'd be all over that. I've gone through the ENTIRE Buschur website under both 1G and 2G and I see that some parts are interchangeable and I'm interested in what I've been reading about "bolt-on" turbos (i.e. - 50 Trim, 57 Trim, 60 Trim, etc.). Is this a DSM thing as I'd certainly have to buy either a T3 or T4 to do this with an EVO? I'm looking at a pretty good looking 1990 Eagle Talon TSi and a 1997 Eclipse GSX as my candidates. The Talon is selling for $3,500 and the Eclipse for $11,000. I'm sure to have a million more questions but for now I'll wait for your response.

Why get rid of the EVO? Both cars can do amazing things but im more of a 2G guy. If you get a 2G you will want a 6 bolt bottom end unless you rebuild the 7 bolt right or go auto.

Evo
    head: 6 and 7 bolt
    valves (sodium filled)
    springs/retainers (great if your not revving much higher then stock)
    cams (maybe but if its MIVEC then forget it)

block: 7 bolt only
    crank (lighter)
    pistons (higher 8.8:1 compression)
    rods (couldnt tell you if they are any stronger on not)
    6bolt w/2G head 2.2, Ross, Crower, Magnus 92mm, Supertech valves, Kiggly springs, GSC s3's, SBR fmic, Tial BOV, meth inj, s90 70mm, JMFab DRAG, 2000cc's, Aeromotive FPR, BR c.o.p., Tial 44's, BW 91/79 .91 A/R, BR 3" exhaust, twin 255 in-tank, rebuilt auto w/Kiggly 5 disk and built t-case

Quote Originally Posted by dsmusmc View Post
    Why get rid of the EVO? Both cars can do amazing things but im more of a 2G guy. If you get a 2G you will want a 6 bolt bottom end unless you rebuild the 7 bolt right or go auto.

Evo
    head: 6 and 7 bolt
    valves (sodium filled)
    springs/retainers (great if your not revving much higher then stock)
    cams (maybe but if its MIVEC then forget it)

block: 7 bolt only
    crank (lighter)
    pistons (higher 8.8:1 compression)
    rods (couldnt tell you if they are any stronger on not)
    The reason why I'm getting rid of the EVO is a very long and dramatic story. The 2G that I'm looking at is a built 7-bolt with Ross pistons (8.5:1) and Eagle rods. Of what you listed, there are some parts that I would love to use. So are you saying that I can use the following: EVO head, cams (non-MIVEC), and my OEM 4G64 2.0L crank?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_evo View Post
    The reason why I'm getting rid of the EVO is a very long and dramatic story. The 2G that I'm looking at is a built 7-bolt with Ross pistons (8.5:1) and Eagle rods. Of what you listed, there are some parts that I would love to use. So are you saying that I can use the following: EVO head, cams (non-MIVEC), and my OEM 4G64 2.0L crank?
    You can not use the head but the valves, springs, and retainers. Im not 100% sure on the cams but I know that if its MIVEC forget it. Honestly it would prob just be easier if not better to just get aftermarket cams. The 4G64 is a 2.4 100mm crank and yes it will fit a 7 bolt but if you get that 2G it already has a built 2.0 in it.
    6bolt w/2G head 2.2, Ross, Crower, Magnus 92mm, Supertech valves, Kiggly springs, GSC s3's, SBR fmic, Tial BOV, meth inj, s90 70mm, JMFab DRAG, 2000cc's, Aeromotive FPR, BR c.o.p., Tial 44's, BW 91/79 .91 A/R, BR 3" exhaust, twin 255 in-tank, rebuilt auto w/Kiggly 5 disk and built t-case

The 4G64 is a 2.4 100mm crank and yes it will fit a 7 bolt but if you get that 2G it already has a built 2.0 in it.
    I agree about it being easier just to get some aftermarket cams regardless of the route chosen. Are you saying that the 1G is already equipped with a 2.4L engine? I'm tracking that the 2G already has a built engine so if I grab that I'll just sell the 100mm crank I have sitting in my garage. Thanks for your feedback.

No they had a 2.0 and 6 bolt block. The 2G you are looking at has a 7 bolt which the 4G64 which is a 7 bolt. To but the 100mm crank in the 2.0 which has a 88mm crank you will need to buy stroker pistons.

No they had a 2.0 and 6 bolt block. The 2G you are looking at has a 7 bolt which the 4G64 which is a 7 bolt. To but the 100mm crank in the 2.0 which has a 88mm crank you will need to buy stroker pistons.
    Got it!...(I think). The 6-bolt is the preferred way (unless the 7-bolt is built), right? I totally understand about the stroker pistons being needed. So, does the 2G already have the 4G64 engine in it? I couldn't tell from what you posted.

No the 6 and 7 bolt are in almost all dsms...1st gens almost till the end of 94 are 6 bolt, turbo and non turbo...at that time was when they started with the 7 bolt...some were 1.8 back in I think 88 and 89 but they weren't "4g63"....2nd gen "turbo" was the 7 bolt 4g63, but the non turbo was the 420a, which in short is a neon motor...the 4g64 are in the 2nd gen Spyder non turbo, I think..

And yes the 6 bolt is better as far as durability...don't get me wrong, the 7 bolt can take one hell of a beating but yet u still have the whole crankwalk issue that is talked about over and over. If your planning on building, then your best bet is to go with the 6 bolt IMO

hope this helps u understand a little better
    Last edited by dsm0485; 04-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Cody
    95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
    90 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Quote Originally Posted by evoenvy
    *God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance*

Quote Originally Posted by dsm0485 View Post
    No the 6 and 7 bolt are in almost all dsms...1st gens almost till the end of 94 are 6 bolt, turbo and non turbo...at that time was when they started with the 7 bolt...some were 1.8 back in I think 88 and 89 but they weren't "4g63"....2nd gen "turbo" was the 7 bolt 4g63, but the non turbo was the 420a, which in short is a neon motor...the 4g64 are in the 2nd gen Spyder non turbo, I think..

And yes the 6 bolt is better as far as durability...don't get me wrong, the 7 bolt can take one hell of a beating but yet u still have the whole crankwalk issue that is talked about over and over. If your planning on building, then your best bet is to go with the 6 bolt IMO

Yes. This certainly does clear things up for me quite a bit. I had a few questions in some of my earlier posts. Would you be so kind and entertain them as well? Thanks.

Well If your talkin about wanting to know what will swap from the evo to a dsm then I'm not real sure
    Cody
    95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
    90 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Quote Originally Posted by evoenvy
    *God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance*

Well If your talkin about wanting to know what will swap from the evo to a dsm then I'm not real sure
    More or less interested in this whole direct bolt-on turbo topic. I saw the BR 20G on the website as my goals are 500whp on E85 with either the 1G or 2G.

Levar,

If you are going the dsm route and those are your goals, check out the FP cast manifold.
    They are also on sale right now:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...de=DSM-Exhaust
    Carlos Tirado
    www.tiradocustomcoatings.com
    Email: carlos@tiradocustomcoatings.com
    Phone: (830) 542-9476
    AIM: tiradocc

Quote Originally Posted by TiradoCustomCoatings View Post
    Levar,

If you are going the dsm route and those are your goals, check out the FP cast manifold.
    They are also on sale right now:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...de=DSM-Exhaust
    Sweet! Will do. Did you get the chance to send that valve cover yet?

Are the wheel patterns the same for an EVO 8/9 and a 1G/2G?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_evo View Post
    Are the wheel patterns the same for an EVO 8/9 and a 1G/2G?
    I have seen a few 1g's with evo 8 wheels on them. So I would say yes.
    Chris
    90 GSX
    BR stage 3 2.0L, AEM EMS, FP3052

Very good to know!

1st gen's were not all 6 bolts either, 90,91, and some 92's were all 6 bolts. The mid year of 92 they changed the first gen to a 7 bolt 4G63 turbo or non turbo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast