Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM EMS Series 2 review and video

Default AEM EMS Series 2 review and video

Well after quite a bit of work and listening to a lot of input AEM has officially released the Series 2 EMS.

As many of you have followed I had my share of complaints with the original AEM EMS. We also used it to set a hell of a lot of records.

I switched over to a few different stand alone ECU's to try them out and was impressed with each one for different reasons. The biggest of which was the quick starting and improved engine reving and throttle response. Along the way I also found that nobody had the perfect engine management. Each change new engine management had something in it I found that was wrong. The responses were the same, "Oh we must not have caught that or that's a glitch in the software we have to fix." The point is, it seems that nobody has the perfect product and they all have their own little oddities.

I got a call from AEM and they told me they had a few BETA boxes they'd like me to test and give them feedback on. I was more than happy to do so.

One thing you will find is that through the last few months of me trying new things I've always said whatever someone is most comfortable with is what they will like to tune with the best. Needless to say after thousands of hours of tuning with the original AEM EMS I was very comfortable with it.

I received the EVO8 and EVO9 BETA EMS's last week. First thing yesterday I wanted to get started.

I had VWJeff's car here and it was just being finished. His car is an EVO9. We got the car loaded on the dyno and I started tuning the new combination. The car had the typical jerkiness that I've blamed just about every component on the car for, at low rpm cruise. The start up wasn't good because the car had to crank so long before it would fire. The car ran well, don't get me wrong but these are things we've grown to accept rather than being completely happy with them. I finished tuning the car on pump gas and decided it was time to make the swap to the Series 2 box.

I spent some time at my desk working from a supplied base map and trying to get everything set up. Along the way some suggestions were again made for a few changes that I am happy to say are going to also be implemented in the new software release coming up shortly.

I plugged the new Series 2 EMS into the car, crossed my fingers and turned the key. INSTANTLY the car fired, like a stock ECU and it ran. I needed to make some fuel trim changes and once I had those made and the idle dialed in I turned the car back off. I waited for the ECU to go offline and hit the key again, INSTANTLY the car fired again. Very impressed. Starting/sync issue is fixed! The next thing I did was to just rev the engine and that too was an absolute night and day difference. Drivability was as smooth as silk, no more jerkiness in the lower RPM's at cruise. I didn't make any WOT runs as it got late in the day and I had a few questions about some features I wanted to get cleared up first. The WOT runs will come when this snow storm stops.

There is no longer an integrated wide band box available. All of the Series 2 boxes use an external wide band. The new external wide band kit is very nice, it's also small. The kit number is 30-2310, they are also very reasonable in price. The Series 2 will work with your existing wide band, you just have to set it up. In my case I was using an existing AEM Wideband gauge and that is in the Wizards, so it's just a click of the mouse to set it up.

For those of you familar with the original AEM EMS the change to using the new Series 2 will be very fast. I've only got a few hours in it and it feels very natural to move around in the program.

The MIVEC tables are also now correct. In the past the numbers in the talbes were "backwards", meaning a high number meant the car was closer to 0 and a low number meant it was closer to being fully advanced. That is no longer the case. Now 0 means 0 advance and 24 means 24 degrees of crank advance or 12 degrees at the cam (for example).

There are a lot of improvements in the new Series 2 from the looks of the program to the fixes that have been implemented.

We did a short video, hope you guys like it:

Buschur Racing w/ the NEW Gen 2 AEM EMS – Video – *CLICK HERE*

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by David Buschur; 02-09-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    David Buschur
    www.buschurracing.com

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BUSCHUR RACING DSM/EVO SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

OFFICIAL DSM/EVO/GTR SHOOTOUT INFORMATION

First 4g63 in the 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's and 7's.
    WORLD'S FIRST EVO8 IN THE 8'S
    WORLD'S First EVO in the 9's on pump gas.
    2011 NASA Championships TTD runner-up

Bad Bish, 9.04@159.64
    Project White, E85, 10.35@138.53 mph, ECUFLASH TUNED

Great news! I can't wait to get my hands on one.

-Em
    STM Tuned.com
    -STM's Ricer 8.817@167.59 Still on the same BR motor since 09!
    -Cessna's Stock motor RS 9.76@150, 9.7@155 with BR long rod 2.0!
    -Shawnas DD Evo8 Full SSL 9.99@145!
    -Austins Stock Turbo stealth 10.9@128!
    -Corys Stock 7 bolt 2g 10.2@138!
    And the list goes on.

Pictures and Videos Here!

$4 SHIPPING on all Parts at STM!

Yeah no shit... just leave it in my car mang!
    I USE AND ONLY SUPPORT THE BEST. IF BUSCHUR MAKES IT, I HAVE IT
    Buschur Built and Tuned... 9sec full weight Evo IX street car.
    10.35 at 144.97 on only 32psi and 9.54 at 158 at 46psi
    http://www.buschurracing.com/
    http://www.awdmotorsports.com/
    http://www.shearerfabrications.com
    2012 Evo X GSR Buschur stage 3

Sorry Jeff, I can't leave the BETA box in your car. You'll have to sell yours and get a new one....
    David Buschur
    www.buschurracing.com

Bad Bish, 9.04@159.64

Dave, I know they were released today and they use the same box for a 2g dsm. Is there a jumper harness that is included or do they make you switch pins? Just wondering if you know or not?

Thanks
    -Em
    STM Tuned.com
    And the list goes on.

Baby jesus just cried Dave

The 2g and EVO9 now use the same box. The box of course comes with instructions with the differences and you simply set them up according to instructions that are included. There is no jumper harness.
    David Buschur
    www.buschurracing.com

Bad Bish, 9.04@159.64

Ok, so its just in the software?

Thanks

-Em
    STM Tuned.com
    And the list goes on.

Sounds like they started listening to peoples complaints! Sucks if you have a Version 1 though.
    Squarepants Racing
    Buschur Racing
    '03 lightening yellow evo
    348 whp and 305 trq on BR dyno 12.5@110 mph
    '03 Tarmac Black evo8 (sold) : (
    1.7 60ft 10.86@133 mph on pump/meth
    Buschur ReTuned built 2.3, 40R 571 awhp, 444 awtrq pump/meth. 617 whp, 486 trq C16 map

'91 red 1G Talon on the way!

Based on your comment to Jeff about selling the Version 1, I am guessing there will not be an upgrade path for our existing units....bummer
    Trev

Thank you to all at Buschur Racing for all of your help with the Buschur Racing "Magnum"!

Yo, sorry, I got the 2g box mixed up. The 2g box and EVO8 boxes are the same, NOT the EVO9. I was reading the instructions and forgot they were for the EVO8 box.

So the 2g and EVO8 use the same EMS.

EVO9 is seperate.

I do not think you will be able to upgrade from the old to the new, there is more to it than a software change. Although, I am curious if many of the new settings were used in the old versions how much better it would run. The new software has had a lot of homework done. The dwell settings for one are now correct and the ignition problems that were once associated with the EMS should be gone.
    David Buschur
    www.buschurracing.com

Bad Bish, 9.04@159.64

Does AEM have a price set for the new unit?

Sounds like they made some smart changes. The version I boxes will be flooding the market soon...I bet they will be $500-600 within 5 months
    1992 AWD TALON Automatic
    2.3/V3 SD/FP 3052/Self Tuned
    10.54 @ 127.5

2004 EVO RS Sold
    FP Red/Stock Motor/Stock ECU/ Maf/Self Tuned
    11.03 @ 123

FP Black/Stock ECU/Maf/Self Tuned
    10.85 @ 131

David,

Any predictions if the changes in Version 2 will have much of an effect in an application like autox? Probably to early to tell since you haven't been able to go WOT yet. Fast start up and the jerkiness down low probably aren't worth the bucks for my application. If it has some type of safety against the timing issue with the cam sensor it might be worth it though....
    Trev

Thank you to all at Buschur Racing for all of your help with the Buschur Racing "Magnum"!

Good information David.

I'm ready to order one if you think they are better.

Thanks.

dan
    Dan

BR Built and Tuned

537 on 93 oct
    622 on c16

i will be ordering the new aem

Looks sweet too bad they probably aren't going to make a gen 2 1g box, i'll have to stick with link for now.
    94 Talon TSI AWD 5spd6 bolt 1g big rod/2g piston combo,crower 272s, crower valve springs and ti retainers, 3g lifters, mild head porting, turbonetics 60 trim, ported 2g mani, 1g vrsf fmic, fidanza flywheel, act 2600 street disc, ecmlink v3 with gm maf to ecu,arp fastners throughout, fuel lab afpr, Megan Racing Coilovers,sst front and rear sway bars,Apexi N1 3" turbo-back exhaust, custom 3" intake.

Spoke to soon it is available $1300 is a little steep for me right now.
    94 Talon TSI AWD 5spd6 bolt 1g big rod/2g piston combo,crower 272s, crower valve springs and ti retainers, 3g lifters, mild head porting, turbonetics 60 trim, ported 2g mani, 1g vrsf fmic, fidanza flywheel, act 2600 street disc, ecmlink v3 with gm maf to ecu,arp fastners throughout, fuel lab afpr, Megan Racing Coilovers,sst front and rear sway bars,Apexi N1 3" turbo-back exhaust, custom 3" intake.

I haven't used the box at WOT yet, but if we can get the snow cleaned off the dyno entrance today Jeff's car may hit the dyno again.

The thought is now that many of the things that weren't quite right in the original boxes are fixed, the timing/cam sensor failure problem is not going to exist now. I am also talking with them about adding a feature to ignore if the timing advances too fast based on RPM.
    David Buschur
    www.buschurracing.com

Bad Bish, 9.04@159.64

Quote Originally Posted by David Buschur View Post
    I haven't used the box at WOT yet, but if we can get the snow cleaned off the dyno entrance today Jeff's car may hit the dyno again.

The thought is now that many of the things that weren't quite right in the original boxes are fixed, the timing/cam sensor failure problem is not going to exist now. I am also talking with them about adding a feature to ignore if the timing advances too fast based on RPM.
    The safety features alone will probably justify buying the new box then if they won't or can't incorporate those features in the Gen 1 box.
    Trev

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast