Thread: How to install buschur Mustache bar and billet side supports

Default How to install buschur Mustache bar and billet side supports

Here is some more tech for your archives dave.. Hope you don't mind all of my clutter.

SO, I have come to the conclusion that I drive a PIG everyday. Out of shear curiosity, I decided to weigh my evo. Bad IDEA. I went to the local scrap yard and pulled the car on the scales. The GF was with me and there was about a quarter tank of gas in it . The weight was 3540 Ibs ... HOLY SHIT, I was dissappointed,
    the calculations were such, I weigh 160 Ibs (yes I am an old fat ass ), the old lady weighs 113, and 1/4 tank of gas using 6.5 Ibs per gallon was right around 25 pounds. Putting the weight of the evo, with no gas in it and by itself, to weigh 3247 Ibs..(this is a full weight none gutted and the spare tire is still there).
    So I have now begun my process of making the car lighter, without gutting it or cutting it up. The only solution is to install parts that are lighter than the factory pieces. Target weight for the vehicle is 3100 pounds . so I have about 150 pounds to go.

I ordered up a couple pieces from buschur racing which I really liked.
    The mustache bar and the rear differential supports, the Bar is made of chromoly and the side supports are made out of billet aluminum. Together, they replace the factory equipment and save you 18 pounds, not to mention the benefit of knowing that your rear end will NOT MOVE as all the bushings are now solid.
    here is a pic of these bad boys

so I was fortunate enough to do this little venture on the lift, Jeremy was there to help as always.
    Here is the rear end of the car, and you can see the stock mustache bar attached to the subframe

I had to spray the bolts down for the sway bar brackets and the mustache bar bolts, as they would need to be moved out of the way inorder to lower the pumpkin.

here is a pic of the stock cast side supports

a back view of the mustache bar

So begin by unbolting the sway bar brackets and lower it down

now start by undoing the mustache bar bolts that hold it to the subframe

you will have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the bar to the pumpkin itself
    drop the subframe by unbolting all the subframe bolts (8 in total)

and wiggle the stock cast mustache bar out

wow check out the difference and let me tell you that stock bar is heavy as hell

Place the tranny jack under the pumpkin and begin unbolting the diff side supports

Now bolt on the side supports and the mustache bar, It is alot easier to keep all the bolts loose because the tolerances are really tight in there
    I had to bang on the musctache bar to get in to seat properly kind of made me mad because I chipped some of the powder coat, but the rest of the pics are pretty self explanatory so here you go

How does the car feel?
    I can not feel any noticeable increase in vibrations, however on a nice wot spurt you do get that tingly sensation All in all a great piece from buschur racing and a nice way to reduce some weight .

later everyone and more weight reduction to come in the future.
    have a great night

Update : I had installed these over two years ago and they are still working flawlessly... I think dave has updated the side supports since then, I am sure he will chime in.
    Last edited by antilag_200; 11-13-2009 at 08:44 AM.
    ~WARREN~
    03 evo -(gt35r) 10.86@ 134.73 (best mph 137.13)..
    90 GST 10.361 @ 142.49 (GT42, 30 psi, auto trans) (best mph 147.10 ; best 60 ' 1.691)
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ignature-1.jpg

has anyone around here ever tried running the solid BR diff side mounts WITHOUT a mustache bar? i mean as in no mustache bar at all? it would seems as the solid side diff mounts would keep any movement from happening and there for possibly no need for the mustache bar to be there at all but does anyone have any experience with it? maybe DB can chime in?

nice install thread...
    Keeping Mitsubishi in business since 2003..

I plan on doin these one day. Probably spring time I would guess. The lighter the better. I m also thinking about the front lower bar too. Im only using the BR front mount pressed intot he factory brace.
    Adam Rutherford

93 awd TSi 11.69 @121 lowboost(26 psi),445whp,358tq AWD Dynojet still in the garage.

04 Evo BR built & Tuned 480 whp pump on their Dyno, 544 DynoJet STD Correction. 82HTA .63 hotside on the stock MAF

Currently SD converted 96530706 531whp 408 wtq 33psi straight Shell 93 pump CBRDs MD self retuned and set up. 1K PTEs BR double pumper

Quote Originally Posted by antilag_200 View Post
    Here is some more tech for your archives dave.. Hope you don't mind all of my clutter.

SO, I have come to the conclusion that I drive a PIG everyday. Out of shear curiosity, I decided to weigh my evo. Bad IDEA. I went to the local scrap yard and pulled the car on the scales. The GF was with me and there was about a quarter tank of gas in it . The weight was 3540 Ibs ... HOLY SHIT, I was dissappointed,
    the calculations were such, I weigh 160 Ibs (yes I am an old fat ass ), the old lady weighs 113, and 1/4 tank of gas using 6.5 Ibs per gallon was right around 25 pounds. Putting the weight of the evo, with no gas in it and by itself, to weigh 3247 Ibs..(this is a full weight none gutted and the spare tire is still there).
    So I have now begun my process of making the car lighter, without gutting it or cutting it up. The only solution is to install parts that are lighter than the factory pieces. Target weight for the vehicle is 3100 pounds . so I have about 150 pounds to go.

I ordered up a couple pieces from buschur racing which I really liked.
    The mustache bar and the rear differential supports, the Bar is made of chromoly and the side supports are made out of billet aluminum. Together, they replace the factory equipment and save you 18 pounds, not to mention the benefit of knowing that your rear end will NOT MOVE as all the bushings are now solid.
    here is a pic of these bad boys

so I was fortunate enough to do this little venture on the lift, Jeremy was there to help as always.
    Here is the rear end of the car, and you can see the stock mustache bar attached to the subframe

I had to spray the bolts down for the sway bar brackets and the mustache bar bolts, as they would need to be moved out of the way inorder to lower the pumpkin.

here is a pic of the stock cast side supports

a back view of the mustache bar

So begin by unbolting the sway bar brackets and lower it down

now start by undoing the mustache bar bolts that hold it to the subframe

you will have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the bar to the pumpkin itself
    drop the subframe by unbolting all the subframe bolts (8 in total)

and wiggle the stock cast mustache bar out

wow check out the difference and let me tell you that stock bar is heavy as hell

Place the tranny jack under the pumpkin and begin unbolting the diff side supports

Now bolt on the side supports and the mustache bar, It is alot easier to keep all the bolts loose because the tolerances are really tight in there
    I had to bang on the musctache bar to get in to seat properly kind of made me mad because I chipped some of the powder coat, but the rest of the pics are pretty self explanatory so here you go

How does the car feel?
    I can not feel any noticeable increase in vibrations, however on a nice wot spurt you do get that tingly sensation All in all a great piece from buschur racing and a nice way to reduce some weight .

later everyone and more weight reduction to come in the future.
    have a great night

Update : I had installed these over two years ago and they are still working flawlessly... I think dave has updated the side supports since then, I am sure he will chime in.
    How was the noise with the solid diff. mounts?

My friend has them in his 05 Evo with no backseat and I can't see myself listening to that noise for too long. But I'm talking about a car with full interior.

I just have the BR moustache bar for over a year now! Very nice piece, huge weight savings!

When you accelerate obviously you dont hear/feel anything. However you decelerate with a gear in, especially 4th and 5th, you can feel every revolution from the rear diff! LOL

It makes sense 100% since there is no rubber in between any more! If you run the car without rear seat/insulation the noise is much louder...

I am thinking of getting the side mounts too next year, we ll see...