Buschur BADBISH 250x90 Test 3    Your AD Here    Buschwacker

Thread: Throwing 1 code P0172, please help, inspection due now!!!!

Default Throwing 1 code P0172, please help, inspection due now!!!!

Hello all,

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 8 which is heavily modded. I have un upgraded turbo, HKS 280 camshafts, 1000cc injectors, Walboro 255LPH fuel pump, and an AEM EMS full standalone engine management system, and a ton of other modifications.

To make a long story short, I need to get my car to pass NYS OBD2 testing. I converted back to the stock factory ECU, stock injectors, stock MAF, but the car still throws a P0172 code. I pulled my plugs and they look like this:

I dont know how else to narrow down the problem. I have a Walboro 255LPH fuel pump in there, but the speed shops I have contacted say that the fuel pump is an unlikely cause.... although I may swap in the stock fuel pump to eliminate that possiblilty.

My other option is to clean out my MAF unit with the proper spray....since its been sitting in a box in my garage for a long time.

Aside from the fuel pump upgrade the rest of my fuel system is stock at the moment.

I also checked for boost leaks and checked the vacum lines, and found out that I have no leaks. all my vacuum lines are zip tied properly and will not blow off....

Cams: I'm running big "race" cams in the car, and once the car warms up, the idle is lopey, and sometimes drops real low, and struggles to come back up to 750-900 RPM's at idle....

I still am running a vent to air blow of valve, which could be a cuase of the car running rich in between shifts, but I'm gonna convert back to the factory recirculating blow off valve to see if this eliminates the problem further. Other than that what can it be???

My car is 16000 miles on it and is mainly my weekend warrior.

Now with OBD2 testing I dont know if any shops can find a way to let me pass even with one code....

HELP!!!
    Buschur/AMS Powered
    AMS 50 Trim, ~500 AWHP Dynojet
    Click here for my EVO's exterior pic, updated 11/2/09

Best E/T: 11.8
    Best 1/4 MPH: 124

Ha, way too much fuel. My 2g did that when I plugged my o2 sensor into a cruise control plug, and my cruise control into my o2 sensor. The only code it threw was that one.

You might want to make sure it got plugged into the right thing...
    for sale: 99 eclipse spyder gst, with all of its problems

auto->man swap; lsd; slowboy ss clutch line; massive greddy fmic (to cool my t25); 1 strut tower bar; Perrin o2 eliminator; 2.5" exhaust- muffler but catless; fp sleeper 16g; ported o2 housing; Lowe's bc; ported exhaust mani, [built 6 bolt swap, wiseco, crower rod, bc i/e272's, ported 1g head]

Was the stock ecu tuned for your injectors?

If the stock ECU is not tuned for the Walbro that is the reason its running so rich. Take it out and replace it with the stock pump.

Switch the stock BOV back on.

Also the car will continue to run like butt with those cams in it and may flunk the test because of it. They are a bit to big for the stock ECU.

Do those first 2 things and you should be good.
    Jarrod Barnett
    Sales Manager

www.BUSCHURRACING.com

[B]Buschur Racing
    24 West Main St.
    Wakeman, OH 44889
    Phone:440.839.1900

Quote Originally Posted by justchil
    Was the stock ecu tuned for your injectors?
    The injectors and ecu are stock now
    Buschur/AMS Powered

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    If the stock ECU is not tuned for the Walbro that is the reason its running so rich. Take it out and replace it with the stock pump.

Switch the stock BOV back on.

Also the car will continue to run like butt with those cams in it and may flunk the test because of it. They are a bit to big for the stock ECU.

Do those first 2 things and you should be good.

ok thanks, I still have to try to locate my stock fuel pump....its in my garage somewhere but I cant find it.
    Buschur/AMS Powered

Jarrod, after driving around the neighborhood a bit the P0172 code came back.......

I'm gonna have to put in the stock fuel pump now for sure and recirculate the BOV and see what happens from there....
    Buschur/AMS Powered

Default found this on the net

"Causes : A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
    There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). "

"Possible solutions include:

In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
    Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
    Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure "

Seems like your on the right way to fixing your problem good luck!!
    05' Graphite Gray MR BR Stage 6 W/ 20G LT and some extra goodies

^^^^

The code is a P0172 - System too Rich
    Jarrod Barnett
    Sales Manager

www.BUSCHURRACING.com

[B]Buschur Racing
    24 West Main St.
    Wakeman, OH 44889

Quote Originally Posted by Losdog
    "Causes : A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
    There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). "

"Possible solutions include:

In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
    Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
    Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure "

Seems like your on the right way to fixing your problem good luck!!

I'll be looking into the condition of the fuel filter....

If it is indeed dirty would it be obvious?

another person who got this p0172 code also told me it popped up when he installed his cams. He mentioned that his short term fuel trims were off and that the stock ECU had to have its ignition and fuel maps modified to work with cams....in my case here would this be something that I would need to consider seriously?
    Buschur/AMS Powered

Default code

Cant you just throw the code back? Sorry i had to.. Pay no attention..

UPDATE:

Jarrod,

I put the stock fuel pump back in..... the car seems to run better and smoother and takes off the line better but it still throws the P0172 code. The only thing left internally that I will swap back to stock is the HKS 280 camshafts.

You did tell me over the phone that the HKS 280's are a bit too much for the stock ECU to handle.

Anyhow can excessive vibration of the MAF or the knock sensor (from the BR motor mounts I'm running) cause the car to run rich???
    Buschur/AMS Powered

Quote Originally Posted by GQ 05YellowEVO8
    UPDATE:

Jarrod,

I put the stock fuel pump back in..... the car seems to run better and smoother and takes off the line better but it still throws the P0172 code. The only thing left internally that I will swap back to stock is the HKS 280 camshafts.

You did tell me over the phone that the HKS 280's are a bit too much for the stock ECU to handle.

Anyhow can excessive vibration of the MAF or the knock sensor (from the BR motor mounts I'm running) cause the car to run rich???
    Yes the 280's are to much for the stock ECU. I hope your not out romping on the car in its current state.

I wouldnt think the mounts would have any issue on those 2 things.
    Jarrod Barnett
    Sales Manager

www.BUSCHURRACING.com

[B]Buschur Racing
    24 West Main St.
    Wakeman, OH 44889

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    Yes the 280's are to much for the stock ECU. I hope your not out romping on the car in its current state.

I wouldnt think the mounts would have any issue on those 2 things.

No, not at all, I'm not beating on the car with the 280's in there. Just coasting around....

anyhows, I'm putting the stock cams in tonight with the help of a buddy. After that's done my car will be pretty much bone stock internally, down to the ECU, injectors, MAF, cam gears, and cams
    Buschur/AMS Powered

UPDATE:

I just swapped the stock cams back in tonight with the help of a buddy... whew, what a learning experience..... I didnt start the car yet, since I finsihed at like 1am, so i will try it tomorrow and hope the code doesnt come back on.....
    Buschur/AMS Powered

UPDATE:

The car runs great on the stock ECU, injectors, cams, camgears set at 0,0, and the stock fuel pump. No more codes appear even after 30-40 minutes of driving around town.

Now all I have to do is get 3 of the 8 ECU's "readiness" montors set to "ready"
    Buschur/AMS Powered