Buschwacker    Your AD Here    Buschur BADBISH 250x90 Test
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: have anybody ever tried to "groove" the head?

How much material is being removed? What I was thinking is that if you take material out that means more space in the combustion chamber which would mean a lower static compression. How much would it be lowered? Just something to think about.
    93tsi awd. 6-bolt swap, hks turbo timer, safc2, suspension techniques sway bar, kyb agx's, tein springs, ingalls camber correction kit, walbro 255, 680cc injectors, adjustable fpr, ported evo3 manifold, ported big 16g, hallman pro rx, arp studs & steel gasket, web racing cams, hks cam gears, egr block off, 2.5" buschur 02 housing, 2.5 full exhaust, buschur front mount, tial blow off, gm 3" mas with converter, ss clutch line, act 2600.

92 f150 - parts getter.

- Fly like an Eagle!

They have lots of variations of where the grooves are pointed at. And as far as I've read, the grooves are about .060 deep and however long, depending on what head they're on.
    A fella on one of the other threads I read there did this on a Stealth or 3000GT or whatever, and he said he could run 35 psi on a GT42? after the grooves, before he was able to get up to 32 max.

Anyway, dont be like those guys and say 'i'm gonna do it....*then nothing*'.
    Do a before and after test, preferably same day, with nothing changing but the head. See if you need less timing for the same power, if the idle is smoother, and all the rest of their signs its working.

68, do you have a link for that 3000GT project?

The problem ambout boeing able to compare the results is that those friends are doing a lot of work on the engine too, so there's no way to just test the grooves effect.

Joe, lower static compression ratio means more room for boost, as it helps avoiding detonation. But i don't think you lose a lot of CR just by doing those small cuts.
    But if you're concerned about it you can always remachine the head surface a bit.
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD totally restored, rebuilt and upgraded.
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Parts car)
    1997 Mitsu Eclipse GST (SOLD)

Well I managed to find one quote from the guy:

"I've done a 4-valver... (and a 5-valve). For the boosted 4-valver the result was being able to run borderline knock at 32 psi to boosting 35 psi,no knock registered whatsoever. Same gas,same everything. 5-valver is still under testing,seems to like less ignition now,as EGT's are down from before the grooves (2 per chamber) were added.."

In another post, he said that the car didn't have a monster turbo on it, but I could've swore it was a GT something. I'm probably thinking of another thread.
    *10 minutes later* I found it, here's the quote from the same guy, I was wrong, regarding a different car:

"Interesting. What kind of piston to head distance do you run on the squish area? Do you mind mentioning the cylinder head type and amount of boost?
    0.0374" in the little squish area that is there...the pistons are dished,just like the ones Automotive Breath had a photo of. It's just a 0.3 or so wide squish band. Heads are 4-valve Mitsubishi 3000 GT (looks identical to a Ford 4.6 (?) I think...saw a photo of that head once and it has the same OHC roller-rocker layout and shape of the chamber and all)...only difference was that it had 4 chambers VS. the Mitsu's 3,it being a V6. It's a GT42R single turbo'ed car. We ran about 34 psi on pump last week,AFR's still a bit rich and the EGT's are so low it's silly...."

That's very promising.
    Thanks 68

I see you guys doing grooves everywhere soon hahahaha
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD totally restored, rebuilt and upgraded.
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Parts car)
    1997 Mitsu Eclipse GST (SOLD)

i know sport comp. car mag. sucks. but about 4 years ago they did a project dsm car that whoever was doing the head work, "grooved" the head but they made it sound like they cut "v"'s on each side of the combustion chamber, when they were done they said their chamber looked like cloverleafs. and it looks like those chambers are so smooth that the cuts probably will create hot spots, my head builder seen when i shined my chambers up and almost didn'd want to use that head.
    95 AWD-auto
    EVO3 / 450cc / 255pump / Hard pipes / MLS-ARPs / 3" c-b .

Precision Billet Converter 3500 stall/ IPT end clutch kit/ IPT valve body.....All on the way....

DSM LINK is next..

Quote Originally Posted by mikyrc
    I've been reading about that grooving method and i was wondering if anyone of you guys have ever tried or know of somebody that has with goo results?

It seems that you can run more boost or compression ratio without detonation????

Here there's the info:
    http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/49/

photos

Sorry if that topic was already posted before. I did search but didn't find anything.

This is taken from a forum in UK:

What do you guys think?
    When getting as much complete combustion as possible,the main role player in this is your air/fuel mixture,Temps. in the combustion chamber,and quality of fuel play a role as well.These heads work well straight from the factory,they just need to be in good shape.Save your money.
    91' Talon TSi-daily driver -F/S
    92' Talon TSi Sprt.RWD drag car-Almost done,yay!!!
    93' Talon TSi Street/strip -F/S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12